Immunity with a Twist, Elfin Forest, and Some Much Needed Rest

September 6, 2009

This week's ride started with another 6:15 Immunity Challenge. A bit of a
twist this week...It was a luck of the draw (Grab a water bottle out of a bag, one of them contains immunity). Joy was the lucky one that drew the bottle with the yellow slip of paper in it. But then, the twist, she had to give it away. Talk about a surprise, she was caught totally off guard. She gave it a thought and gave it to me! I was shocked, because I had immunity last week. Wow, immunity 2 weeks in a row, and a guaranteed spot in the final 5! Thanks Joy!

After the immunity drawing, Scott Houts aka Hooter and Mike Hower talked to us a bit about the ride experience and sent out an invitation for us to ride with their groups and get to know each other a bit more. I will definately we riding with their groups this coming weekend with the back to back century rides.

Just prior to the ride I presented my additions to the immunity pump. It received a literal dose of testosterone with an emergency dose of Androgel, a CAF and XX1090 tatooed Incredible Hulk "donation Bank", Livestrong Band, and a XX1090 mobile broadcast setup. During my moments talking about the pump, a lady hollared "I guess we see who here is testosterone defficient!" I played it down and actually gave it no thought because I crack jokes about my condition all the time. After the ride she came over to me and appologized. I told her not to worry, and shared my cancer history. It turns out that she is quite the cancer advocate herself and is involved with some inspirational philanthropy work as well.

The ride was a quick 40 miles. I was set to ride with group 3 as the combined group 1 and 2 rolled out. I looked back at the size of group three and decided that it was a bit large and rolled with Rob Lindbloom to catch the tail end of 1 and 2.

We rode the Elfin Forest loop, but in the opposite direction that it is usually done. It is a great course and the new pavement and long stretches without stops make it one of the best rides in San Diego. I spent much of the day at the back of the pack helping sweep riders up the main group when I could help out. I spent some time riding with Scott Rhodes, Scott Kaplan, and Jeffrey Essakow. After we reached San Elijo the pace picked up and we were back in Solana Beach in no time flat.

Everyone hung out in the parking lot for a while and discussed fundraising, and met a few of the past Scott & BR Cycling Challenge riders. There were a few guests in the parking lot. Bob Babbit and Rudy Garcia Tolsen stopped by to say hello before going to the cove for a workout. Rudy is training to be the first bilateral above knee amputee to complete the Ford Ironman World Championship. Talk about inspiring!

I am continuing to struggle with my hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I feel depleted after almost any activity. So I made time for a nice kip after the ride. I crashed for almost 3 hours. It was quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment