Palomar Mountain

July 26, 2009

I love to climb. But Palomar always intimidates. Especially when you are supposed to start in Escondido and it is hotter than you know what outside!

The weather caused a course change. We were all going to start from Harrah's. I felt better about that since I put in a bigger effort yesterday than I had planned.

I learned a valuable lesson in the early part of the ride. Drinking FRS may cause the need for 'natural stops'. Now I know, I will never repeat. I had a really good climb up to Mothers. I chatted with Lisa a little bit and became her 'billy goat' for the climb. The legs felt really good, even with yesterday's effort with the Trek Store crew.

After a brief pause at the SAG a small group rolled on to the observatory for some bonus elevation and miles. I talked to Lisa some more to get some pointers on descending better and discovered that I was doing a lot if it incorrectly. The tips helped and I was more comfortable rollig into the long descent back to our cars. Well at least that is how it was supposed to happen.

Somewhere around the 4800' point a fellow contestant Alex had a front tire burst and suffered a nasty spill. I did not see it but I heard it. I had enough warning to get stopped safely and assess the situation. I quickly attempted to oranize the chaos and get people assisting. I really cannot remember who was there othe than Rob Lindbloom and Alex who was sprawled out on his back. A rider was sent up the hill and one down to warn traffic. A few gentlemen were on the phone with 911. I was trying to call Vikki, Kristine, and Tina but no service. A passerby was kind enough to stop and drove back to the SAG, but by that time Vikki had pulled up and also doctor Debbie. She was a great help. Thankfully I have seen this type of incident before and my experiences as a Trek San Diego ride guide came in handy.

Alex was in great spirits, considering the obvious broken collar bone and the uncomfortable road rash tha he would be qearig for the next few weeks. We were all working to keep Alex comfortable and shaded a the EMT's stabilized him for the bus ride to the hospital. I eventually took my jersey off and use that to make shade for him.

By the time Alex was in the bus and on the way down the mountain, I was the only rider left. I decided load my bike up with Alex's and ride down with Vikki in the truck.

It turns out that Alex wasn't the only rider to have bad luck. Another rider was clipped by a motorcycle and banged up his ankle pretty badly. I hope he is ok. 
Get well soon Alex!   

No comments:

Post a Comment