QMDC Climbing Clinic

August 8, 2009

Today brings a format change to the training program. There is an optional Climbing Clinic from Descanso to Julian and Back through Pine Hills. It had been a week since I last rode, and I really needed a good ride to help clear my mind.

It was a brisk morning! Wow, and to think this is August?

We had a smaller group, approximately 20 people, Including Coaches Mari, Lisa, and Mike and fellow contestant Rob Millium. We rolled out of the car park at 7 am and quickly my fingers were numb from the cold. I rode a bit aggressively to the first rest stop at Lake Cuyamaca. Kip and I traded efforts and got to the store a few minutes before the others. I usually ride with the group but I needed a few miles to get rid of all of the garbage that had accumulated in my mind and body over the week back in Indiana.

After a brief stop, we were back on the road headed to Julian on highway 79. The chill from the morning had left us after the first few miles and the day was turning out to be a beautiful one. The sun was shining, the shy was very clear and blue, and the temps were sitting right in the mid 80's. Perfect day to be on the bike. We regrouped at the coffee house and had a nice little break sitting around the table and chatting it up. The gigantic cinnamon rolls looked very good, but I decided to stick with the Cliff Bar, because we still had a lot of climbing to do.
Mike, Kip and I rode up front for the Engineer's Road climbs. I really like that road. It has always ranked as one of my favorites, even though it can be a tough one. Some sections hit 16% according to my Garmin data, but they sure feel more like 20%.
After another quick stop at Lake Cuyamaca we were back on the road. Just 11 rolling miles back to the car, it should be easy, I thought. I was rolling with Mike, Lisa, and Kip. They decend much better than I do, so I was left hanging solo for a while to catch back on. There was a pretty strong wind to battle, but I got back up there. From there, it was just an enjoyable paceline through Descanso and back to the car.
There is no such thing as bad rides in my book. This one was exceptionally good. Everyone rode well. I think the clinic was a success.
We ride Kitchen Creek tomorrow, and I cannot wait to see the immunity pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment